The Department of Planning and Environment
Job Titles available: Principal Analyst; Senior Analyst; Analyst
Job Grade/ Classification: Multiple
Location: Sydney CBD
The Department of Planning and Environment is the lead NSW Government agency in planning for a growing NSW.
The Department's vision is: planning for growing NSW; inspiring strong communities, protecting our environment. This vision provides the benchmark for our approach to engaging and working collaboratively with key partners to deliver better planning and environment outcomes.
About the role:
We are establishing a new team to drive the use of data for better decision making in the Planning portfolio. This involves the creation of a new evidence base to derive insights to shape the future of NSW.
The team is responsible for undertaking strategic research, preparing written reports and analysis and presenting findings to key stakeholders.
The team's work contributes to a robust and rigorous planning and economic evidence base to inform accurate and effective strategic land use and infrastructure planning and housing targets aligned with NSW Government and agency objectives.
Essential Requirements/ Skills and Experience:
- Degree qualification or higher qualification in one or more of the following areas: planning, statistics, economics, data science, valuing, demography, social science, business or other relevant discipline or equivalent relevant experience with a specialisation in one of these areas.
- Experience in the application of relevant approaches and techniques for research, data analysis, forecasting, visualisation and statistics.
- High level written and oral communication skills are essential for this role.
Please click below to view the Role Descriptions:
Role status: This constitutes ongoing employment under section 43 (1)(a) of the Government Sector Employment Act 2013.
Eligibility: To be eligible to apply for ongoing employment within the Department of Planning and Environment, candidates must be an Australian Citizen or have the status of permanent residence in Australia.
Department of Planning and Environment promotes a workplace that actively seeks to include, welcome and value unique contributions of all people. We encourage people with a disability, Aboriginal Australians, young people and people from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply for this job.
How to apply: Please submit applications directly through the iworkfor.nsw.gov.au website (please see links below). Please ensure you submit your current resume (maximum 5 pages) and a covering letter addressing the following two questions (maximum 2 pages):
1. Give an example where you have applied technology to solve a problem. What options did you consider and how did you identify and select the most appropriate technology?
2. Give an example of where a stakeholder asked you to undertake data analysis to solve a problem. How did you respond beyond simple presentation of numbers? How did you communicate your insights to ensure your analysis had a meaningful impact?
For further information contact Dr Kate Harrington on (02) 9274 6400.
Closing Date: 11.59pm on Tuesday, 31st January 2017.
Should you encounter any issues submitting your application through the iworkfor.nsw.gov.au website, please contact JobsNSW Helpdesk on 1800 562 679.
To submit an application through the iworkfor.nsw.gov.au website, please click on the relevant references numbers below: